Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Finding the Hero in You!

Beautiful day here in the Coachella Valley today, sunny and warm was the order of the day, however it was a bit cool first off today, but quickly warmed up!  I was off to the flying field putting in a 2 1/2 hour shift, while Judy was down at the pools doing pool exercise this morning. 

We were going to head out to do some shopping this afternoon, when Judy mentioned she saw the Blood Donner Bus parked in front of the Office, and wanted to go and give her blood.  She is 0 neg. and her blood is usually in demand!

This is the bus that came in, supporting the Community Blood Bank.

100_3266

All went well with the donation she made around 11:30 this morning and we were off home for lunch.  About 1/2 an hour later, Judy was cleaning up the kitty litter, and bent over to do so… ohhh ohhh… shouldn’t have done that!   She felt real faint, and had to sit down for a bit… it really effected her, as she was sick, and seeing stars… thankfully it passed by, and she made a recovery.  I took her back down in the Jeep to see the nurses at the bus, and they arranged some Ice packs to cool her down and told her to relax.  A quick phone call to Dr. Hollinger in Ottawa reminded me of all the things I should be doing to make her comfortable, and other symptoms to check for.

In my books, she is a “Hero” for sure.  This is not an easy thing to do and people do not even normally like to think about giving blood.   I reminded her this evening that hopefully the donation will save someone’s life, but I don’t know if this helped or not…  hopefully in a day or so, she will be past this.

I will never forget the night 5 1/2 half years ago, when I required life saving heart surgery in Toronto, and badly needed some blood.  It helped save my life, and who ever that person was that made that donation, was my “Hero” also!  Thank you!

Thanks to all the people who “Donate Blood” and find the Hero in themselves!

Till tomorrow…

5 comments:

  1. Good post John well said. Thanks Judy, hope you feel better tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy is a hero for sure and I hope she feels better soon. Thanks Judy, and thank you John for the uplifting post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, John. Judy is a real hero for giving blood especially since her type is in demand.

    I hope she is feeling much better this evening. I'd be using that as an excuse to eat about a dozen chocolate covered donuts to regain my strength. I doubt that's the cure that your son, Dr. Shawn, recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice post Dad, you're such an encouraging husband!
    And you're right, Mom is a hero, she's been giving away that precious blood of hers for years and years, more times than I can count. Way to go Mom, hope you're feeling back to rights soon.
    xo

    ReplyDelete