Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Life is good... The sun came back!


Yes, the sun came back today! It started of rather cloudy this morning as I headed to the gym... yes, you have to keep in shape! Judy headed to the pool right on time as usual.
After all the exercises were completed we made the executive decision that we should head out to El Centro, California. It was cool at 11:00 as we headed out, but we knew better. Before 1/2 hour was up into the ride, all the clouds headed to the east (Ontario...) and the sun came out, and all was good again. As we passed by the Imperial Sand Dunes, it was obvious that there was a bunch more people out playing in the sand. Probably double from last Sunday when we headed out. Border Patrol guys were hard on the job, stopping the traffic and running all over the country side looking for something or someone...
We took the old highway 98 again into Calexico. Once we hit here, our stomachs took over and after a conversation on our new headsets, we decided to hit "Jack in the Box"....


I don't really remember these restaurants at all, but they seem to be all over the place out here, although not all of them have nice palm trees on the front lawn area like this one does.
This one looked really new inside and outside so I assumed it was. We each order one of their "sirloin burgers" and it had to be the biggest burger we have had in a long time. However it was also real good! Judy said they put a whole head of lettuce on hers, and that is because they grow the stuff by the thousands of acres here, I have never seen so much lettuce growing!

As we were leaving I noticed this SUV parked near us and could not resist taking the picture of the Reindeer Antlers on it. There are a few of these things out here, and really, they look kind of corny! I think I will buy a set for Mary D. for her Volvo.... it would suit her!

Ya, I know, look at all the nice palm trees... we are in California ya know....

After lunch we were off to find El Centro. We did. It is a large city, the gal at the Chamber of Commerce where we stopped for some info told us 50,000 people call this place home. It is close to the Mexican border, and is in the middle of the desert. One of the reasons we came out was to visit Costco! There is no Costco in Yuma, and this one in El Centro is the closest to us. It was a fairly new store, and yes, you can see the palm tree they have in their parking lot! The other major difference with this Costco is the fact they have a whole section of Liquor and Wine and Beer! Try to find that at Costco in Barrie!

We picked up some nice steaks for dinner on Thursday night when the Morrisons arrive for their holiday. I phoned Pat tonight and she is pumped up and ready to go, well, almost. They are a little worried about the airport, as I guess they have really cracked down on security again! No carry on luggage is allowed for their flight to Phoenix. It is a new world!

I took this last picture today of Judy in the Costco parking lot, only cause I really liked the palm tree in the background...

It got up to 20 or maybe a little better this afternoon, so we headed back to the Resort and of course headed right to the hot tub to relax... it does take it's toll on you acting like a tourist all day....

I forgot to mention a little storey from yesterday's blog post. When I was on the phone talking to the lady to purchase the bus tour for the hockey game, she was asking me my information. She asked for my cell phone number, so I gave it to her. Her comment was, "Oh, sounds like a somewhere in Ontario type cellphone with that 705 area code". I said "ya, we are from Ontario"... she adds, "Oh, so am I, I live up near a small town called Gravenhurst!" I kind of did not know what to say, it is a small world! She actually lives closer to Severn Bridge, Washago area. She has been coming down to Yuma for the past 5 years, and took a job as a reservation taker, from the Bus Tour Company, as she really likes that type of work!

Well, tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and warm! Keeps getting warmer as the week goes on! Don't know what is on the agenda for tomorrow, and that is just the way I like it!

Till tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment