Sunday, April 13, 2014

Yikes... where have I been???

Time goes by fast, and before you know it, you miss a couple days blogging and you are in the hole! A lot of fun times, and things to do kept me busy.

Long term readers will know that I have a bit of a passion for drag racing. Over the past couple of years I have made it out to the Grand Bend big year event up in Ontario. I love to watch and usually make a full day out of it.

We are only about an hour and ten minutes from Bradenton, and they have a fabulous Speedway and Racetrack. This weekend was what they called their "Nitro Jam" Weekend! Tom had never been to the drags, so decided to come along with me to see what it was all about.

Turns out it was all about Nitro! There were 6 nitro burning Funny Cars which were just awesome to watch!

Yeah, that is the engine above, all taken apart... they seem to be able to rebuild them in about an hour!

This is a great track, and they let you wonder into the pitts and talk to the mechanics and the drivers...they all don't mind talking to you either...

Yes, that is an airplane jet engine strapped onto the back of that dragster in the picture above. They had 4 of these jet cars at the track, all driven by 20 something young ladies that did a great job... running the 1/4 mile at about 260 mph! You have to be brave... video at the end off the blog.

This jet car burns 25 gallons of jet fuel during the 6 second 1/4 mile run at about $5.00 a gallon.

Anyone remember the "Dukes of Hazzard"???

How about Batman? These cars were simply on display...

We were there pretty well all day, and did not get home last night until 10:30. Had a blast. if you are interested, you can view the videos I took below... they are all pretty short, and gives you an idea of what we were watching... had a blast!

I know this is a "guy" type of thing, however you have to have a variety of blog conten! Right?

On Friday, we were busy at Tom's 29th birthday party... check out his rocking guitar above...

Count down is on to departure... Tom and Cheryl leave tomorrow morning, we pull out Tuesday.

Till tomorrow...

 

5 comments:

  1. I also like drag racing, stock car racing and F-1. Sounds like a fun thing to do. I participated in drag racing with some buddies in my late teens. Great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're delayed here until Tuesday. Maybe our paths will cross on the road.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's nothing quite like the smell of CH3NO2 in the morning. Well, don't breath in too much of it...
    Drag racing is the only Motorsport that I know of where spectators can wander in the Pitts. Nothing like it. Looks like you had a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has been years since I have been, such an amazing sport. Thanks for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My ears would ring for a month if I ever went to a place like that. Thanks for the videos - they cured my urge to try and go deaf!!

    ReplyDelete