Thursday, October 30, 2014

BEEP BEEP BEEP... Arghhh...

Later yesterday afternoon, we were in the RV staying warm like everyone else around here, and all of a sudden beep beep beep...... what the?????

Turns out it was our Propane Detector going off... what??? Quickly we opened up all our doors, and windows to get some fresh air inside the unit. Next we tried to see if we could find out what was leaking propane! We could not really smell anything inside the RV.

I tried to ventilate our detector to stop the beeping and it did for a bit, and then started all over again! Yikes! We spent it seemed a couple hours horsing around with the crazy thing, before we determined it was probably the detector that was causing problems as there was no obvious propane leak. As the unit is wired directly into the 12 volt power system of the RV, it is on all the time, so it got to the point where we could not shut it off! I ended up taking it off the wall, and clipping the wires to disable it! Time to get some sleep!

Today I was all over getting this problem fixed. Judy headed off to London for the day, involved with testing for her exercise program. I went to Home Depot and they had a new propane detector in stock for $69.00 but it was powered by electricity. This is a problem in the RV as you do not always have power! I looked around elsewhere and found nothing... Decided on calling Forest City RV in London...

We have used this Dealership for repairs and parts, and find them to be very good. They had a new "Safe T Alert" Detector in stock for $91.00 which will fit right into the spot where our existing unit sits! Perfect!

I got it home and in 20 minutes, made the simple installation myself. Only 2 wires, a red and black to connect, using the existing wires in the RV which are on their on 12 volt circuit. Oh, and yes, you mount the detector right down near the floor, as propane gas is heavier than air, so sits on the floor! Very important!

OK, so I was wrong... it is a red and white wire, but it is black coming out of the detector. It is simply the ground wire, while the red one is the hot wire. Anyways, got it installed, and working, and tested, and all is good again. Best part is there are no alerts happening!

As Judy was in London all day with the Cruze, I was on my own to get to Forest City RV, which meant breaking out the Honda! Now, you have to be a tuff Canadian to drive the 50 klm return trip at about 8 deg. C. but I made it no problems! Don't think the bike ever did warm up much!

This morning while in Woodstock, I stopped by to have a coffee with Kristina, and to see what the kids were up to. Had a great visit, talking to them about Halloween coming up tomorrow... Gwenny will be a butterfly, and Charlie is going dressed as a dinosaur... check out the video below, as I ask Charlie what a dino says!

I met up with them again, as Kristina planned to take them to Micky D's for lunch, as she wanted to get them trick or treat pails for tomorrow night... they give them away with a happy meal. The kids also have a blast playing in the indoor climbing centre.

Gwenny loves doing "selfies" with me now... so we did one! I might be a little partial, but what a great looking little girl she is!!!

Till tomorrow...



  1. You're right about Gwenny - she sure is a cutie! Charlie is one scary sounding dinosaur. I'm not sure yet what Mason is going to be but I'll find out tomorrow for sure.

    Nice job on getting that propane detector fixed.

  2. We have replaced our propane detector twice now , they are good for about 5 years then will begin to beep. The carbon monoxide detector about 7 years. they should have a replace by date on them.
    About half that price in the states. If you can get them there.